Old Canadian Logging
and Mining Equipment

Although this page started as Logging page
it has since included Small Mining
Steam and Diesel Locomotives, light industrial
locotomotives and other old Railway Equipment.
I even have a stationary steam engine
an abandoned lumber mill
and two Compressed air and two external
source steam engines


 
 

We would like to invite any of the visitors to this page to submit any
Older Canadian Diesels pictures that they may have.
You may use this email link
johnmacdoanld@summerville-novascotia.com



COMOX Logging #11 at Ladysmith BC, early80's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
COMOX Logging #11 at Ladysmith BC, 1999

In the past (after I took my first picture of it shown above) Comox Logging # 11 was placed inside and 
was on the road to being rebuilt to operational status. But for some reason it never happened, so I have attached a picture
taken in 1999 showing the locomotive stripped of all 
it's lagging & sheet metal, but with a new paint job
for static display.

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
The #11 in earlier days, from a 1980s postcard 
(Traveltime C-1492)

The caption reads: Steam locomotive and other 
historic equipment from the colourful past of 
West logging, rest in garden setting at the outdoor museum and arboretum of Crown Zellerbach Canada Limited, Ladysmith, B.C.

The locomotive was built in 1923 by the Baldwin 
Locomotive Works (Ser# 67409),  purchased by 
Comox Logging in 1937 and used in continuous 
service until 1961, hauling logs between Nanaimo Lakes (about 12 miles or so west of Nanaimo) and Ladysmith.
Following retirement in 1962, it was overhauled
and put on display in Ladysmith (photo). Currently, the loco is sitting in derelict condition around 616 Oyster Bay Drive, in Ladysmith, ttp://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=
photo&position=174&with_photo_id=38494490&
order=date&user=964485  alongside the 
Humdirgen seen elsewhere on this page, also in derelict condition. Research
established that the locomotive number board 
and builder's plaque are displayed in a case in the Ladysmith Archives at 1111 First Avenue, Ladysmith BC.

Massey F. Jones collection
WP & YT #73 at Whitehorse YT, Aug 1982
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth
WP & YT #73 at Whitehorse YT, Aug 1982
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth
WP & YT #73 at Whitehorse YT, Aug 1982
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth
WP & YT #51 at Whitehorse YT, Museum, Aug 1982
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth

 

Join me on facebook so that you can keep up with all the changes to
page and all the rest that make up Old Canadian Railways

Old Canadian Railways

Promote Your Page Too



 
Cowichan Valley Railway #1 at Vancouver BC May 1986
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Mayo Lumber #3 at Duncan Forest Museum, 1995
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
BCR EX CP 3716 at North Vancouver BC, Aug 1981
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
PGE (Pacific Great Eastern) #2 at Squamish BC,
June 1987 BCR (British Columbia Railway) operated as (PGE) Pacific Great Eastern Railway before 1972
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Every 30 minutes from 10:15am to 5:00pm, EP&Y
makes its way around the Fort Edmonton Park circuit,
carrying visitors back in time through various areas of
the Park. The ride is included in the admission price.

The EP&Y was subsidiary of the Canadian Northern
Railway (CNoR) which existed in the Edmonton area
from 1902 to 1909. It tried to link tracks with its
competition, the Canadian Pacific Railway in Strathcona (South Edmonton) but was rebuffed by both the CPR and local citizens, which led to its eventual demise.
The green cars are lettered for the Canadian
Northern Railway.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Edmonton Yukon and Pacific 107 was built in 1919 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works of Philadelphia PA., as a 2-6-2 (Ser#52255) and operated last in Louisiana hauling lumber for a paper mill.

In 1977, it was rescued from the Louisiana swamps and restored as an oil burner.  In one area of Fort Edmonton, EY&P 107 crosses the Edmonton Radial Railway streetcar track at grade on a diamond,  as it proceeds around its own circuit. The normal consist is usually the EY&P 107 loco, three CNoR-lettered coaches (ex-Northern Alberta
Railways) and a caboose. 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Edmonton Yukon and Pacific 107 takes on water on an undated day (from a negative scan) during summer 2006.
The locomotive, with a balloon stack, cowcatcher and round domes which gives the 1880s look; was used in the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by The Coward Robert Ford", mostly filmed in Edmonton, although the locomotive was constructed in 1919. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
A ticket to ride on the Edmonton Yukon & Pacific Railway at Fort Edmonton Park, in 2006.
This picture was submitted by Massey F. Jones
The back part explains about the origins of the train.
The full story at: 

http://railways.library.ualberta.ca/Chapters-8-2/

McDougall Hill,  mentioned on the ticket;  basically curves behind the Chateau Lacombe Hotel (ex-CP) downtown Edmonton, and comes out as 100 St NW, in front of the MacDonald Hotel (ex-CN). 

This picture was submitted by Massey F. Jones
3-Truck Shay #115 locomotive, at the Fort Steele
Heritage Town, near Cranbrook BC, in the mid-70s,
pulling visitors around the property. The passenger 
car could be British Railway E 3733.

The #115 was built by Lima http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lima_Locomotive_
Works in February 1930 (Ser#3350) and it was used
in logging operations, including for the Canadian Forest Products (CANFOR) on Vancouver Island in the late 50s-early 1960s.

The Wiki description states that it was constructed out
of two damaged shays, that it is currently the largest
shay class locomotive in Canada and due to major 
issues with the boiler, the 115 is not in operation.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
3-Truck Shay #115 locomotive, at the Fort Steele Heritage Town, near Cranbrook BC, in the mid-70s, pulling visitors around the property.
 Massey Jones collection
85-ton Shay locomotive at Fort Steele BC, was one of 
the two locomotives in operation in the late 1980s, the 
other one being the "Dunrobin". While the Dunrobin 
worked as the oldest locomotive in BC, it was British in looks and eventually sold to a museum in Britain. http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/southern
_bc.htm

#115 is a combination of 2 locomotives: 
Shay Ser# 3350 on the frame and Shay #3344 on the boiler. Both locomotives worked in lumber operations. In 1952, Shay #3344 was fitted with a new boiler and scrapped in 1956 but its boiler was saved. 
At the time, #115 worked for Hillcrest Lumber 
(eventually named Canadian Forest Products, then
Canfor) as their #11. After fitting their #11 with the
new boiler, Canfor renumbered the locomotive to 
#115 because it had carried the #5 in the past.

Following lumber service, #115 worked on the
North Vancouver wharves and was eventually 
donated to the provincial government,  for use at
the Fort Steele Historic Site to transport visitors around. Currently, it is not steamed but is taken
out for viewing in the summer.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
3-Truck Shay locomotive #115 gets a drink from an old-fashioned water tower at the Fort Steele Historic 
Site. Some of the drive shaft can be readily seen in 
this view.http://fortsteele.ca/
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The engineer tends to Shay locomotive #115 at 
Fort Steele, which needs to be well oil at all times.

As opposed to the familiar locomotive design, Shay 
locomotives are geared, which make them especially 
strong in pulling power for their weight. While very 
noisy in operation, they can be relied upon to 
perform flawlessly under the toughest conditions 
and rough track where a regular locomotive would spin its wheels.

The boiler is offset to counterbalance for the gear system.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Bevel gears engage all the wheels on the Shay
locomotive drive shaft seen here in closeup from 
another view on this page. It's a very noisy but 
extremely powerful operation.
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Shay locomotives have a complex arrangement of
gears, cams and pistons. A bit of the cam system for 
the drive shaft can be seen in the lower right corner, 
along with a few pistons on locomotive #115 at 
Fort Steele BC.
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
CPR Class A, 4-4-0 st Delson Que. Sept 1978
This picture was taken by Allan Campbell and submitted by Jim Parker
CPR Class U 0-6-0 at Delson Que. Aug 1978
This picture was taken by Allan Campbell and submitted by Jim Parker
Unknown 2-6-0 at Delson Que Aug. 1976
This picture was taken by Allan Campbell and submitted by Jim Parker
Unknown 2-4-0 at Delson Que Aug. 1976
This picture was taken by Allan Campbell and submitted by Jim Parker
PGE (Pacific Great Eastern) #2 at Squamish BC,
June 1987
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
MB #1055 and Fire Car at Ladysmith BC, early 80's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
MB #1055 at Ladysmith BC, early 80's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Prarie Dog Centeral #3 at Vancouver BC, May 1986
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
The only annotation for this early logging photograph is that the glossy print originates from the MacMillan
Bloedel Limited Public Relations Department.

It looks to have been taken around 1910.

Massey F. Jones collection
This 8x10 glossy print mentions on the back, that it 
originates from the MacMillan Bloedel Public 
Relations Department.

Locomotive No. 4, an 80-ton Porter 2-6-2T, once the pride of the Victoria Lumber & Manufacturing Co. Ltd.'s Copper Canyon Railway System. The bridge is over the Chemanius River, Vancouver Island, BC
This incormation was provided by Duane Nickull

 

Massey F. Jones collection
CRV #1 at Duncan BC Forest Museum, Oct 1984
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CZ #2 at Courtenay BC, Nov 1981
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
MB #1044 at Chemainus BC, early 1990's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Cowichan Valley #25, a 0-4-0T locomotive 
"Samson" (36" gauge  914 mm) carries visitors past
Hillcrest Lumber #1 (shown elsewhere on the page) 
around the 100 acre (40 ha) property at the BC Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan BC.

The locomotive was built by the Vulcan Iron Works of Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania (Ser# 1549) in 1910.
It is a saddle tank locomotive, meaning that that the 
water tank sits on top of the boiler like a saddle. 

Massey F. Jones collection 
The BC Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan BC
features a trestle over Somenos Lake (a wetland). 
The 100 acre (40 ha) site features 2.5 km of track on
which a 36" (914 mm) gauge railway is operated for
visitors in season. http://enertelligence.com/bcforestdiscoverycentre
/wordpress/?page_id=179

The locomotive is Cowichan Valley #25.

Massey F. Jones collection   
A rear view of Cowichan Valley #25, on the trestle 
over Somenos Lake, at the BC Forest Discovery
Centre in Duncan BC.

All photos in this series were probably taken 
in the mid-70s.

Massey F. Jones collection   
Hillcrest Lumber Company #1 is part of the
collection at the BC Forest Discovery Centre
located in Duncan BC. 

The Shay 2-truck, narrow gauge locomotive is, like 
others in the collection, a 36" gauge locomotive 
(914 mm). It was built by Lima Locomotive Works
in Lima Ohio in 1920 (Ser#3147) and weighs 25 tons.

Massey F. Jones collection   
Sitting in the yard at the BC Forest Discovery Centre,
is Cowichan Valley #24, named "Suzie",  painted on 
the cab side above the number.

It was built as an 0-4-0 by the Vulcan Iron Works in
1910 to 36" (914 mm) gauge and weighs 12 tons. It was originally built for mining; where it ran until 1936, then worked for the Elk River Colliery from 1942 to 1957, before it was purchased privately, made over and brought to the Forest Museum (now the BC Forest Discovery Centre), where it has served as a standby for the #1 and the #25.

Massey F. Jones collection   
CVR #1 at Duncan BC Forest Museum, Oct 1984
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CVLM (Cowichan Valley Logging RailwayMuseum)
0-4-0 #24 at Duncan B.C. June 1967
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CVLM (Cowichan Valley Logging Museum)
0-4-0 #24 at Duncan B.C. June 1967
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CVLM (Cowichan Valley Logging RailwayMuseum)
Shay #1 at Duncan B.C. June 1967
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CVFM (Cowichan Valley Forest Museum)
Shay #1 at Duncan B.C. June 1967
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CVFM (Cowichan Valley Forest Museum)
Shay #1 at Duncan B.C. June 1967
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CVFM Log Car at Duncan B.C.
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
K.M.R.Y. #1 at Dawson City YT August 1982
http://www.yukonmuseums.ca/treasures/dcm/17.html
This engine was mainly used in mining operations
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
K.M.RY #2, Dawson City YT, August 6 1982
This engine was mainly used in mining operations
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
K.M.RY #2, Dawson City YT, August 6 1982
This engine was mainly used in mining operations
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
K.M.RY #4, Dawson City YT
This engine was mainly used in mining operations
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
The Duchess at Carcross YT, August 1982
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM92E4_
The_DUCHESS
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
The Duchess at Carcross YT, August 1982
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM92E4_
The_DUCHESS
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
This is one of the narrow gage locomotives, a Baldwin mogul, which were used to haul coal from Lethbridge colleries through the international border at Coutts Sweetgrass. 
This picture was submitted by Bill Hillen, Lethbridge Alberta
T&NR 4-4-0
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and it part of the "Jim Parker Collection"
 Stelco 0-6-0 #40 at Hamilton Ont.
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and it part of the "Jim Parker Collection"
Alberta Railway & Coal 0-6-0 at Lethbridge Alberta, 1893
Note the dual gauge track
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and was courtesy 
of the Sir Alexander Galt Museum
Alberta Railway & Coal 0-6-0 at Lethbridge Alberta, 1893
Note the dual gauge track
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and was courtesy 
of the Sir Alexander Galt Museum
Acadia Coal 2-8-0 #42 at Trenton NS Oct 1963
 This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
 2 Truck Shay at Richmond Hill (Lansing) Ont Nov 1959
 This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker  
2 Truck Shay #2 at Port Alberni B.C. Oct 1956 
 This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the Jim Parker Collection  
 2 Truck Shay #2 at Port Alberni B.C. Oct 1956 
 This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the Jim Parker Collection  
The Consumers Co. 0-4-0 Aug 1958
 This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker  
The Consumers Co. 0-4-0 Aug 1958
 This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
A Polaroid print from the early 70s by Massey's 
father-in-law, showing what appears to be Canadian 
Creosoting 0-6-0 saddle tank locomotive #102, on 
static display at Sioux Lookout, Ontario.
At the time, Massey's future relative was stationed 
at RCAF Station Ramore, a radar base in the same 
general area of Northern Ontario.

View the locomotive as it stood in Dec 2012, http://www.trainspotted.com/content/CC/01/CC-102
-LS-LF-20121207-1103.jpg having lost its front and rear footboards, as well 
as headlight and now having the cab open for access.

A Google Street View of "102 Government Row, Sioux Lookout" will bring a photo of the locomotive in front of a building which is either an old railway station or constructed to look like one. Sioux 
Lookout is still a VIA Rail stop but the station is two-storey. No explanation for the  background buildings in the photo, not on Google Street View today. Perhaps a viewer can elaborate if/when the
loco was moved.

Photo: Late Lorne Unwin Massey F. Jones collection
Elk River Colliery Locomotive at Fort Steele BC, 
Sept 1987
This locomotive operated on steam pressure only and could be used underground in a coal mine. 

This type of locomotive used steam from another source. 
Usually the Co's main boiler. When the pressure in
it's tank was built up to the required PSI, the locomotive was disconnected from it's source of s
team & ran on it's own till the PSI pressure became too low & the process was repeated.  This type of locomotive was used under ground or in areas where there would be lots of hazardous coal dust & where ordinary steam locomotive exhaust smoke would also be a hazard. They also had a low
profile & could work in tighter locations than an ordinary steam engine could
 

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Compressed air 0-4-0 Mining Locomotive
BC Miming Museum. Brittania  BC
This picture was taken by Bill Grandin and submitted by Jim Parker
These two are two Compressed Air mine locomotives,
displayed the Natural Resource area of Heritage Park.

The six-ton locomotive in front was used in Canmore
for nearly 80 years, before Canmore Mines Ltd donated it to Heritage Park in 1979, while the one eight-ton locomotive in the back, nicknamed "Jumbo" was used for 40 years at the Crowsnest Pass Coal & Coke Company at Michel BC, before being presented to Heritage Park as a gift in 1965.

Both units were built by the H.K. Porter Company Ltd, the largest manufacturer of mine locomotives; one in 1909 and the other one in 1902.

Being fireless, compressed air locomotives were used inside the mine itself and pushed the cars to an outside area, where steam locomotives such as CNP 3 or the Canmore 4 "Goat" both shown on this page, took over.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Its name is PORTER. Not the toy that it appears to be, but once a hard working fireless locomotive 
toiling in a Canadian steel mill for about a quarter-century. Porter is now displayed in Bellevue Park in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and was part of children's playground for 40 years.

Cast in large letters on its nose, the locomotive is
popularly named after its builder, the H.K. Porter
Company who built it in 1943 (Construction #7443) 
for Algoma Steel Industries (ASI), with a wheel 
configuration of 0-4-0F.  ASI knew it as Engine #10
and retired it in 1967. It was then turned over to 
the City of Sault Ste. Marie, who renumbered it to
67, as a Centennial project; painted it to fit into
a playground setting and popularly named it 
"Porter the Train".

Porter is believed to be one of only two in existence 
in Canada and considered to be in the best condition 
even though it has been modified and the controls 
welded shut. Now fenced off due to safety concerns, 
it is now preserved by a city as a reminder of the
vibrant steel industry in the Sault during WWII.
Once sadly in need of paint after deterioration 
from children and weather, it was improved at the
cost of $32,000 after generating some 
controversy as to whether it should be returned to its
original livery. Read more at http://www.saultstar.com/
2014/01/19/porters
-designation-could-be-derailed and http://www.saultstar.com/2013/08/21/porter-
the-train-gets-a-fresh-coat-of-paint-to-stem
-deterioration and see it fenced (before painting), 
down the page at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/s
howthread.php?t=201123

Photo: Late L. Unwin - Massey F. Jones collection
Log car behind CVR #1 at Duncan BC Forest Museum, Oct 1984
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CF Log Car at Ladysmith BC, early 80's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CF Snon Plow at Ladysmith BC, early 1980's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CPR Logging Flat cat #306059  at Duncan B.C. 
June 1967
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
This little dinky locomotive flanked the Ron Morel 
Museum in Kapuskasing and it was visible from the 
highway in 1975 when this photo was taken by a 
friend of Massey. 
When the museum (engine 5107, passenger cars 
and caboose) http://yourrailwaypictures.com/CNRsteamengines/
were moved in the fall of 2004, the dinky engine was
handed over to a local man who used to work for the 
Woodlands Department of Spruce Falls Power and Paper Company. 
He is an amateur historian of all things
related to the lumber industry.

The locomotive was built by Plymouth in May 19311
(Ser# 3632) as 5-Ton Model FLB-2 (the B meaning
that it had a Buda engine). Plymouth was one of the
world's most prolific builders of small industrial 
locomotives, with over 7,500 constructed of which
1,700 are believed to still be in active use, some 
over 50 years old. Almost all Plymouth locomotives
produced were less than 25 tons.

The triangular inscription on top of the cab reads
from the top: (an interlaced SF), followed by 
SPRUCE FALLS POWER & PAPER COMPANY then WOODLANDS and across the bottom, KAPUSKASING ONTARIO. 

Information on the dinky location and its present
whereabouts was courteously provided by the curator
of the Ron Morel Museum in Kapuskasing: http://mci390.wix.com/ron-morel-museum.
The dinky is taken out and displayed during
Kapuskasing's annual Lumberjack Festival (info on www.kapuskasing.ca ).

Massey F. Jones collection
CF 107 (Crown Forest) at Ladysmith BC, Early 1980's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CF#107 at Ladysmith BC, Early 1980's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
CF 107 (Crown Forest) at Ladysmith BC, Early 1980's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Comox Logging Railway #107 at Port Alberni, in April 1976, when it was in service with the company.
This little 4-wheel Plymouth 7-ton gas locomotive, well-illustrated from several angles on this page, was built in February 1924 (Type DL2 Ser# 1662) and first purchased by Sydney E. Jenkins (the construction company which built the Connaught near Revelstoke BC), in October 1927, as their #1. Plymouth built is first diesel in 1927, and it has been the country's 
most prolific small gas and diesel locomotive builder,
with 7500 to date.
Most of these are small mine and industrial locomotives of less than 25 tons. http://www.northeast.railfan.net
(note that this link refers to the loco as Type BL2, 
not DL2)
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
After a 1974 rebuild, the loco was purchased by the Alberni
Pacific Lumber in 1980 as their #107; then to Comox Logging
& Railway in 1984 and  finally by Crown Forest Industries
(formerly Crown Zellerbach) in March 1986. In May 1993, #107 was donated to the Ladysmith Railway Historical Society and displayed 
in the Alberni Valley Museum, for use as an artifact, illustrating 
Vancouver Island logging. 

Both my scans are from Ektachrome slides dated (by Kodak) 
April 1976,  when I visited. 

See the loco in B&W in its CL&R days at: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/czbx107.jpg http://gelwood.railfan.net/clr/clr107agh.jpg
(and if you [persistently] click on some part of the same link,
it will bring a front view of the same loco but not quite from 
same angle)

 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
MB #76-11 at Port Alberni BC, April 1998
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
This  old loco is located in downtown Coleman AB
at the old intl coal site just south of the 
downtown  near the old coke ovens. 
 This picture was taken and submitted by Bob Watson  
Alberni Pacific #7 at Port Alberni BC, 1998

Alberni Pacific #7 being maintained in their locomotive shop during the spring of 1998. Note 
all the equipment being used on a regular basis.
Quite a crowded area! 
The shop it self was erected on the old footings 
of a long abandoned CP 2 stall wood frame 
engine house.

 

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Alberni Pacific #7 at Port Alberni BC, 1998

The shop drop pit

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Alberni Pacific #7 at Port Alberni BC, 1998
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Alberni Pacific #7 at Port Alberni BC, 1998
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Acadia Coal GE 70T (Ex CNR) at Stellarton NS, Oct 1963
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
An abandoned lumber mill just West of Revelstoke BC,
Sept 1986
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Cowichan Valley Forest Museum stationary steam engine
Duncan B.C. June 1967
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
Custom built to push logs off a rail car into the water 
at the log dump, this odd looking unit was called The Humdirgen. It was  self-propelled and made locally
from a small (shay) locomotive. 

By the late 1940s, Ladysmith was the centre of major
logging operations that extended as far as the Nanaimo Lakes region and employed as many as 700 people.
Chief among them was The Comox Lumber and
Railway Company. In 1954 the company was purchased 
by Crown Zellerbach Canada and later became part of 
the Crown Forest Company. 

This view and others were taken in the mid to late 
70s at Ladysmith BC by a good friend of Massey
and all are scanned from a color negative strip.

 

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
As each loaded car still coupled to the locomotive came
under the Humdirgen, the logs  were pushed into the
water by the arm. 

There are some superb black and white pictures of 
logging operations, including one of the Humdirgen 
and one of the 
Ladysmith log dump at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/msdwilkie/7000810666
/in/set-72157629699032592/lightbox/

 

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
The logs were then boomed by light boats called "sidewinders" because they were able to move 
sideways and turn on their own radius and towed down  the Fraser River to the Canadian Western Lumber Company 
Limited in Fraser Mills BC (near Vancouver), an organization capable of handling a million feet 
of logs daily. 
 
 

Any stray logs were picked up by professional lumber salvagers and sold by them to a sawmill. 

These salvagers called beachcombers, inspired the
famous CBC series which ran for 216 episodes 
1972-1990.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beachcombers

 

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
Fairly well orphaned for now,  the Humdirgen is
displayed 
around 616 Oyster Bay Drive, Ladysmith BC.
 The site can be viewed by accessing Google Maps, 
then Street View. 

It will become necessary to mouse down the road
quite a bit,as the address is approximate. 

The museum which acquired the artifacts ran into 
difficulty for restoration funds; leaving behind the
Comox Lumber #11 
(shown on this page in fairly pristine condition ) on
one track and the Humdirgen on the other; neither
of which, has been
very well cared for, since. There are other pieces of railroadiana
around, including a logging steam jenny scattered around 
on various tracks.

View be a photo of Comox Lumber #11 and
The Humdirgen in their present sad state at: http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
A lightweight rail crane, manufactured by Industrial
Brownhoist and lettered for the Quebec North Shore 
Paper, on the dock at Baie-Comeau QC in the early 70s 

Baie-Comeau is a deep water port on the St. Lawrence
River located approximately 420 kilometres (260 mi)
north-east of Quebec City in the Côte-Nord 
(North Shore) region of the province of Quebec.
It is named for a local North Shore geologist and 
naturalist.

Though colonized before, the town took root in 1936,
when Colonel Robert R. McCormick (1880-1955), 
owner and publisher of the Chicago Tribune, built the 
Quebec North Shore Paper mill, taking  advantage of surrounding
forest for the pulp, unlimited  supply from nearby
waterfalls
for hydroelectric power and paper processing as well 
as ice-free deep water port to ship finished newsprint 
rolls to Chicago by boat through the St. Lawrence 
River.

The Quebec North Shore Paper thrived and greatly 
expanded in the 1950s. It lost its identity along with 
other Canadian pulp paper pioneers in the 1970s, as
merger upon merger took place within the industry.
Currently, it is known as AbitibiBowater. It now has
11,200 employees. Newsprint still accounts for about 
40 percent of its business. The rest of the business 
includes products like packaging paper and lumber. 

It's fair to assume that the crane was used to unload
giant newsprint rolls brought to the dock from the plant 
and place them into ships' holds for transportation to 
the US. After this photo was taken, it may or may not 
have remained in service and does not appear on any
paper roster or on-line research. The dock at 
Baie-Comeau is now serviced by COGEMA, which is 
a subsidiary of CN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnie_de_gestion_
de_Matane

Any update would be most welcome

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
Crown Zellerbach Canada Ltd. (Comox Logging 
& Railway) Alco RS-3 # 4097 at Ladysmith on 
Vancouver Island.. 

The Alco  RS-3 (b/n 80187) former Delaware
& Hudson 4097 was acquired through United
Railway Supply in Montreal in May 1973 and 
eventually scrapped  after apparently being
tagged by vandals.

Taken by a friend of Massey near the Ladysmith 
log dump c.1974.
 

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
Crown Zellerbach RS-3 #4097 near Ladysmith BC
c.1974 The water tank semi-permanently coupled
to it, will be used in case of a fire caused by any
sparks from the locomotive; as it goes along, 
hauling flatcars full of logs from the forest to 
the log dump.
This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
Another nice view of the CZ #4097 in action, scanned
from a colour negative strip.
The photo was taken c. 1974 by a close friend of Massey.
This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
A good front shot of Crown Zellerbach #4097 in
service at Ladysmith on Vancouver Island in 
the 70s. The locomotive has now been scrapped.
This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
Before Crown Forest Products (formerly Crown 
Zellerbach) switched to the RS-3 locomotives shown on 
this page, Baldwin #7128 was used between the Nanaimo Lakes operation and the Ladysmith log dump.
The diesel is a model VO-1000  built by Baldwin in 1943.
Crown Zellerbach purchased it in 1960 from the 
U. S. army. 

This photo was taken at an unknown location (possibly Ladysmith or Port Alberni on Vancouver Island) c. 1974 
by a good friend of Massey.

This picture is part of the Massey F. Jones Collection
The loco was built in September 1923 by the Montreal Locomotive Works (Ser# 64710) as a, 0-4-0 tank 
locomotive (similar to Thomas, with water to the rear 
of the cab) and it was later converted to a 0-4-0ST,
with the tank astride of the boiler.  In 1920 Alcan established itself in the region and partnered with
Roberval & Saguenay in 1926. 

RS 15 locomotive then went through a series of moves through various Alcan hydroelectric generation facilities. 
Its last assignment was in metalworking machinery manufacturing plant; until given back to Alcan, who
donated it to the town of Port Alfred, which placed it
on the static display shown in this view. The water
behind the loco is the Baie des Ha! Ha!, a deep-water
port used by Alcan (now Rio Tinto) to unload bauxite 
from ocean going ships. It is then shipped by rail by unit train to its processing plant in Jonquière (formerly Arvida QC) to be made into alumina, then aluminum ingots.

 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
In 2011, locomotive 15 was given to the Vielle Pulperie
(The Old Pulp Mill) in Chicoutimi (where it initially 
operated from as a pulp hauler).  They displayed it as 
given but the expected 6-figure couldn't allow 
professional restoration. 

So a local artisan undertook it with a paintbrush and 
it was then lettered SAGUENAY POWER 106 after
some research, while another firm restored the metal structure. People can now climb inside the loco if they
wish. View the restored product at: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/86672266

 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Roberval Saguenay 15 locomotive, at the site it has occupied since 1968, alongside the Msgr Dufour Museum in Port Alfred, now called the Musée du Fjord in La Baie QC.  As in most Québec small towns, the local parish church is nearby (background) and the area is more or less the town centre. http://maritime.musees.qc.ca/en/museums/fjord/index.php

The scan from a colour negative strip, taken
about 1978 or so.

 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The next move for the 15, was a relocation still in Port Alfred, alongside the Roberval Saguenay port facilities
in 1988 and a bit of paint, to help mark the 150th 
anniversary of the region. 

It occupied this site until 2011 until given its final 
resting place a few miles miles away in Chicoutimi 
(now Saguenay QC). 
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/Locopicture.aspx?
id=157962

This picture is the property of RR Picture Archives
 

Web view submitted by Massey F. Jones
Engine 100 stands in the town of Smooth Rock Falls at
the intersection of Fourth Street and Hollywood Avenue
in Smooth Rock Falls, about half way between 
Kapuskasing and Cochrane, Ontario. 
The display is now protected by a small fence. http://www.trainweb.org/onrailfan/mattagami100.htm

The locomotive is a Mogul 2-6-0 coal burner, designed by the American Locomotive Company and built by the Montreal Locomotive Works in April 1916 (Ser#55116) 
for The Greater Winnipeg Water District Railway as their #9. Read about the GWWD at: http://winnipeg.ca/waterandwaste/dept/railway.stm

It was acquired around 1927 by the Mattagami Railroad,
a short 3.3 mile (5.31km) line linking the National Transcontinental Railway (now Ontario Northland) 
mainline to Smooth Rock Falls to serve a paper mill 
(Abitibi Fibre Company, Limited, 1927-1941)
and its succession of owners.

The 100 was a dual purpose locomotive, transporting 
wood products in winter and
tourists in the summer, on the shortest independent 
railway line in Canada.  Due to reduced ridership,
passenger service terminated on May 1, 1966 but 
freight on the Mattagami Railroad continued with 
diesels until 2006. 

Read more about the Mattagami Railroad 100 and its history at: http://www.srfcdc.ca/index.php/visitors/for-train-buffs

Mattagami Railroad -- Claim to fame: North America's Shortest, Chartered, Standard Gauge Railway.

This view was taken by a friend of Massey c.1975 and part of the 
Massey F. Jones collection

 
 The Steam Engines of the CNR
 The Steam Engines of the CPR
Old Canadian Diesels
   
Old Canadian Rolling Stock
 Passenger Cars
 Old Canadian Rolling Stock
 Freight Cars
The Scrap Yard
Canadian Train Stations
The Grain Elevators
of Western Canada
Canadian Railway Tunnels
with a detailed look at the
CPR Spiral Tunnels
     
Cabooses 
Canadian Railway Artifacts
Train Bridges and Trestles
 
Electric Locomotives and Street Cars
 Robot Cars
Industrial and on Site Diesel  Locomotives
The Newfoundland Railway

Two site worth looking at.

The Memory Lane Railway Museum in Middleton, Nova Scotia.
The only exclusive Dominion Atlantic Railway museum in the world

Welcome to the DAR DPI
A web community initiative intent on digitally preserving
the history of the Dominion Atlantic Railway



 
 
 
 
 

Links
Visit our Home in Summerville Nova Scotia. This house was built in 1873.
Where we live and what we do
A Nova Scotia Snow Storm Hits Summerville
A Nova Scotia Snow Storm Hits Summerville
The Steam Locomotives of the CPR
The Steam Engines of the CNR
Train Bridges and Trestles
Canadian Railway Tunnels with a detailed look 
at the CPR Spiral Tunnels
Old Canadian Diesels
The Grain Elevators of Western Canada
Canadian National Railways Motive Power Statistics Index
Jerry Barnes' Garden Railway, The SCRR
The Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society
The Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society
Historic Aircraft Pictures
Visit John's Old Car and Truck Pictures
The Yard Limit's page on the 
Windsor & Hantsport Railway (WHRC)
CN Pensioners' Association
The Stanley Steamer

For all you steam fans, this page is a must

Visit Lonnie Hedgepeth's 
of Rocky Mount, North Carolina site.
He has used the plans provided on Covered Bridge Plans  webpage and is 
building a Covered Bridge for his Live Steam train.
Many new pictures have been added including pictures of his Live Steam Engine
The building trades class at Darlington HS in Darlington, Wisconsin built this covered bridge for a local business man
 Tour the 64 remaining Covered Bridges
 of New Brunswick
The Covered Bridges that once
dotted Nova Scotia.
Lilies From the Valley
A Vast selection of Oriental and Asiatic previously cut commercially grown bulbs ready for shipment anywhere in Canada
Visit my Jeep page
A Picture Review of the Jeeps
from 1940 to the present
A Picture Review of the 
Nash, Hudson
and the cars of American Motors
A Picture Review of the Hudsons and Terraplanes
that were found in Australia
A Picture Review Studebaker
A Picture review of the Packard
A Picture Review of the
Pickup Truck from 1940 to 1969
A Picture review of the Volkswagen
A Picture Tour of the Kaiser Frazer
A Picture Tour of the
A Picture Tour of the Henry J
A Picture Tour of the Crosley
A Picture Review of the Chevrolet
from 1916 tto 1970
A Picture Review of the Ford
from 1908 to 1969
The Chrysler Airflow
View some of John Evan's  Artwork
View some of
John' Evan's Artwork
This site has quite a collections
of John's artwork.
View these old cars as you haven't before.
Eric Gordon's Kaiser Rebuild
There are many pictures showing the
details of this Rebuild
E Mail

 

Hits on this page


Total hits on the Railway pages



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Privacy Policy for http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ 

If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at john@summervillens.ca 

At http://yourrailwaypictures.com/, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme importance to us. This privacy policy document outlines the types of personal information is received and collected by http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ and how it is used. 

Log Files
Like many other Web sites, http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol ( IP ) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider ( ISP ), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. 

Cookies and Web Beacons 
http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ does use cookies to store information about visitors preferences, record user-specific information on which pages the user access or visit, customize Web page content based on visitors browser type or other information that the visitor sends via their browser. 

DoubleClick DART Cookie 
.:: Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on http://yourrailwaypictures.com/.
.:: Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to users based on their visit to http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ and other sites on the Internet. 
.:: Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy at the following URL - http://www.google.com/privacy_ads.html 

Some of our advertising partners may use cookies and web beacons on our site. Our advertising partners include ....
Google Adsense
 

These third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to the advertisements and links that appear on http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ send directly to your browsers. They automatically receive your IP address when this occurs. Other technologies ( such as cookies, JavaScript, or Web Beacons ) may also be used by the third-party ad networks to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and / or to personalize the advertising content that you see. 

http://yourrailwaypictures.com/ has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers. 

You should consult the respective privacy policies of these third-party ad servers for more detailed information on their practices as well as for instructions about how to opt-out of certain practices. http://yourrailwaypictures.com/'s privacy policy does not apply to, and we cannot control the activities of, such other advertisers or web sites.

If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers' respective websites.