Canadian Electric Locomotives
Please note that we are trying to show only old diesels that were produced prior to 1990

Nova Scotia Tramways and Power Company, (1917 to 1927 Limited was reorganized with the new corporate name "Nova Scotia Light and Power Company, Limited" 
in 1927 and operated the Birney Cars and Electric Trolley buses from 1928 to 1969
 As far as I can find out these trolley buses was "ACF Brill T-46 / GE 1213 - J1 electric"
For more details on the history of the street railway in Nova Scotia please click here

The Birney Safety Car was a type of streetcar that was manufactured from 1915 until 1930. More than 6,000 of 
the original, single-truck version were built It was a 
small and light and was intended as a economical means
of providing urban service at a lower cost than
conventional streetcars. Production of Birney cars
lasted from 1915 until 1930.
These small light weight cars worked well in Halifax 
because of their light weight and twin motors that that made them ideal on the steep hills. Halifax originally purchased 
24 Birney Cars from the American Car Co. in 1923. In 1927 another 8 were purchased from Toronto.
WW II put a real strain on the resources of the system.
Prior to WW II they carried 9 millions passages a year
but during the war years this increased to 31 million.
Halifax continued to purchase used Birney Cars until it 
had a fleet consisting of 86 Birney cars.
This was possible many other cities were selling of their 
Birney fleets.
( Note the total number of tram cars that were owned by NSLP varies depending on which source you refer to but 
it is safe to say that the fleet numbered over 80)
This picture was taken in 1945
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
Birney 128 on Route 1 Belt Line travels along 
Barrington Street near Sackville St.
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
A decorated Birney Streetcar marked the end of
Tram-Car Service in the downtown Halifax,
26 March 1949. Service in some of the outlying areas continued until about 1951.
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
A Birney Streetcar converted to snow plowing and
track maintenance
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
Trolley bus # 254 on Route 5, Armdale at Simpson's department store
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
Trolley bus # 274 on Route 5, Armdale at Simpson's department store
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
Trolley Buse #23, route 2 The belt Line stopped at
Zeller's on Barrington Street, 1953.
These trolly busses were always blamed for holding up 
the automobile traffic. The car driver, myself included
never gave much thought to how many cars they took
off the road.
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.
Trolly Buses in service in the 1950's - 1960's
Route 6, Oakland Road
Image courtesy of Nova Scotia Archives and Records Management, Halifax, N.S.

Tom's North American
Trolley Bus Pictures


The Grand River Railway (GR) and Lake Erie & Northern Railway (LE&N)
The Grand River Railway (GR) and Lake Erie & Northern Railway (LE&N) were interurban electric railways operating in the province of Ontario, Canada The GR ran northward from Galt to Preston, Kitchener, Waterloo and Hespeler, total trackage 17 miles, and the LE&N southward from Galt through Paris, Brantford, Waterford to Port Dover, on Lake Erie, 51 miles. Serving the highly industrialized area of Central Ontario north and south of Preston (now part of Cambridge), the GR and the LE&N, together formed the Canadian Pacific Electric Lines with headquarters in Preston, Ontario, Canada. Legally they were two separate railways but operated under common management with individual identities. Following the conversion of the Grand River Railway to 1500-volt DC operation, equipment of both lines was inter-mixed and running crews also worked both lines. Both lines had frequent passenger service, and freight service, which connected with the CP, CN, MC and TH&B railroads. The area between Brantford and Port Dover, on the LE&N, is a well-populated agricultural area ideal for growing tobacco, fruits and vegetables. The railway provided a way for these products to be transported to market. The beach at Port Dover generated much passenger traffic in the summer months. Ivey's Greenhouse, and the fact that Port Dover was a fishing port, helped generate express revenue for the line. This traffic would be carried to the Canadian Pacific Railway at Galt where it would be placed on one of the mainline passenger trains for further delivery to its destination. The improvement of roads and auto and truck traffic cut passenger business out in 1955 and electric motor freight in 1961. LE&N track was pulled up in the 1980's. A short section of the GR between Waterloo (CN) and Kitchener (CP) lasted until 1993.

Brief timeline of the Grand River Railway and the Lake Erie & Northern Railway
Grand River Railway
1894 - The Galt and Preston Street Railway, opened on July 26 1894.
1896 - G&P branch to Hespeler opened in January 1896.
1896 - G&P name changed to Galt, Preston & Hespeler Street Railway Company Limited.
1903 - On October 6 the Preston & Berlin Railway opened a line from Preston to Berlin (later Kitchener).
1908 - GP&H and G&P reached an accommodation on January 1, 1908 to become Berlin, Waterloo, Wellesley & Lake Huron Railway. -- leased to Canadian Pacific.
1916 - Berlin renamed Kitchener.
1918 - BWW&LH roads merged as the Grand River Railway.
1921 - The GR changed from 600VDC power to 1500VDC to match its sister railway the Lake Erie & Northern. Its 600V cars and Locomotives were withdrawn from service. Many cars and freight motors were rebuilt to operate on 1500V and/or for MU operation.
1931 - GR operating hourly passenger service between Galt, Preston, Kitchener and Hespeler, and 9 trains as far as Waterloo.
1955 - Last passenger trains on GR.
1961 - Freight service discontinued.
1993 - Last section of GR (Waterloo to Kitchener) is taken up.

Last Passenger Run, 1955
All Pictures and text provided by Berry Kelly.
His Grandfather, Frank Lediett was Station Master at the Paris Station and he spent many happy hours hanging around there when he was a kid. 

Car 816 at Paris late 1930's
Car 842 at Brantford Station mid 1940's
Car 842 at Paris late 40's
Car 846 at Paris early 1950's
Car 955  Lake Erie & Northern Railway (LEN)
Port Dover about 1920
Tandem freight engines at Preston 1950's
Lake Erie & Northern Railway (LEN)

The Expo Express

Many Canadians forget that the Expo Express was 
the first automated system in North America, built
c. 1966 for Expo 67 in Montreal, far ahead of the
Vancouver Skytrain in 1985. 

This view shows the Expo Express, on the bridge
from Ile Notre Dame during the summer of 1967.
Visitors were given the option of traveling directly
back to the city by regular bus service on the left, 
rather than connect to the Metro from the 
Expo Express terminal.

See the Expo Express in action at:

For those nostalgic about Expo 67 (multiple links,
from the song to the pavilions) at:

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The Expo Express approaching the platform in July 1967.

It operated on standard gauge rail with a third rail pickup, much like the TTC Series H cars which they resembled, except for the streamlined front and back in the 6-car 
consist. The "third rail" is the strip on the left of the train. 

The train was controlled by a computerized system made
by the Union Switch & Signal division of Wabco. 
It drove by itself, but an operator was assigned to the 
train to decide when to activate it, and to do guarding
duties with the doors, ensuring the train left each station without dragging anybody.  This happened more then most people realized. He would also troubleshoot doors that wouldn't open or close.  It was believed at the time that
most people wouldn't ride on a train that didn't 
have a human driver.

Caption was edited by Martin Iftody Toronto, ON who
operated one of these trains

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The Expo Express operated between Ile Notre Dame and
La Ronde from April 1967 to October 1972. 

This view from a high vantage point, shows the Expo 
Express in its guideway and the Blue Minirail on the 
left during the height of Expo 67.The link brings a 
rather nice photos of the Expo Express The Blue
Minirail is at:
It passed by several pavilions, including the inverted
pyramid called Man the Producer theme pavilion on the left and the British pavilion on the right, as did the Expo Express. 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Other than the Minirail Bleu (Blue line), there 
was the lesser Minirail Jaune (Yellow line), which 
operated in two loops, here in July 1967. 
The Jacques Cartier Bridge is in the background,
linking the Montreal Island to the South Shore. 
Railfans will want to read an excellent  description 
of all the Expo 67 minirail system and Expo Express
from the rail viewpoint at:
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
After Expo 67, the Expo Express continued to be in
service more or less in service until 1972, while
several proposals were considered for their future. 

After this period, the cars were mouthballed on-site 
until 1979.  A temporary track was then built to take 
them to the Port of Montreal and then to the CN 
Pointe St-Charles Yard where this view was taken
on 2 Oct 1982. 

Their last resting place was a secure area for rail 
equipment at Les Cedres (Cedars) near Coteau, 
some 50 km southwest of Montreal, where they were eventually scrapped, after no buyer could be found
for them.

TTC 4369 in front of Elgin Motors, a noted Toronto landmark at 655 Bay St around 1975.. Note the
"Short Turn" sign in the front window at the 
entrance. The site today is an 18-storey
multi-tenant building.
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
TTC 4369 just passing by the Toronto Coach Terminal 
at 610 Bay Street, around 1975, with a Flyer trolleybus alongside. The building today has changed very little 
30 years later, except that signs in front have been 
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
TTC 4369 at Bay and Dundas in downtown Toronto.
The car was built in 1946 by the Canadian Car &
Foundry. Compare the corner today, with the current
Google Street View. 
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
TTC streetcars 4417 and 4315 in downtown Toronto around 1975 seen from a Queen Street overpass. 

PCC (Presidents" Conference Committee) streetcars lovingly called "Red Rockets" in Toronto (because of their fast acceleration),  served the city from 1938 until 1996. TTC had purchased well over 750 of them and they proved highly reliable; transporting hundreds of millions of passengers over their years of service.

In the early 70s Toronto Transit decided to decommission all of their streetcar fleet and the majority of  PCCs ended up in the Wychwood carhouse graveyard, being stripped for parts: , including the two seen here.

A few PCCs were rebuilt from the ground up and renumbered in the 4600 series (A-15) after a group of citizens persuaded the TTC to retain its street car service and, for a while, the PCCs toiled along their more up-to-date counterparts, the CLRV and the ALRV in revenue service.

As the eighties rolled around, it was thought to now use the PCCs on a proposed waterfront line but it wasn't found practical. A few PCCs then  found new homes in museums or as tourist attractions in various cities while some others ended up as restaurants or a place that could use the car body. 

An iconic design, the PCC streetcar in various forms still runs in various places around the world.  Read all about PCC streetcars at:


This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Red Rocket TTC 4376 on the Dundas Route in 
Toronto, on a rainy night in the mid-70s.

Of the 745 PCC streetcars the TTC owned - the largest
fleet in North America - only two remain in operation: 
4500 and 4549 now renumbered 4604 and 4605 and
classified as  A-15H (for Historic).

4376 was part of an A-6 order from the Canadian 
Car & Foundry (4300-4399) in 1947. Most were 
scrapped in the early-90s, including the 4376 but a
few were sold to private individuals. 


This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
"Red Rocket" TTC 4403, on one of the Toronto streets 
in the mid-70s.
The number has now been assigned to a brand new TTC
unit. View a VIMEO of the delivery of the "new 4403" 
done by brand new CPR locomotives 2254 and 2268 at
The new Bombardier Flexity Outlook 4403 Streetcar is
taken for a test ride at Hillcrest Yard
This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
One of Toronto's "Red Rockets" is just departing the underground St Clair West station in this mid 70s shot, scanned from a negative.

At that time, Massey was stationed at the airforce 
base in Downsview.

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
A typical street scene in Toronto in the mid-70s.

Notice the yellow police car beside TTC 4374 and the
fact that the light bar on the roof is still fitted with the old-fashioned red "cherry"

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Boarding a "Red Rocket" on the KING route, off the sidewalk, mid-70s.
Notice a typical TTC car stop on the pole to the left.
Massey F. Jones collection
One of the TTC "Red Rockets" has just passed
an Eaton's store in the mid-70s.
Both of them now belong in the history books.
Massey F. Jones collection
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This picture was taken and submitted by Mitchell Libby
This series of ten pictures were taken and submitted byMitchell Libby. They were taken at various sites of the old Toronto Transit Comminsion's street railway cars.
In the early 1970s the TTC’s PCC fleet, which had been the world’s largest, was 20-25 years old and showing the effects of heavy service on Toronto’s streets (the last Peter Witt cars were retired from regular service in 1963). 

TTC management had prepared a plan for the orderly abandonment of all streetcar service by 1980. Their rationale was that the newest PCCs (delivered in 1951) would have reached the end of their economical service lives by then. European designs were not considered suitable for Toronto operating conditions.

However, neither the TTC nor Toronto City Council were anti-streetcar, as had been the case in cities such as Vancouver or Montreal; they were simply reacting to perceived circumstances.

At this point, concern for the environment was growing rapidly, and many people in Toronto questioned the wisdom of replacing clean, high-capacity streetcars with polluting diesel buses.

A citizens group, the Streetcars for Toronto Committee, felt that there was a viable alternative to abandonment, and in 1972, convinced City Council to instruct the TTC to cancel that plan. The Commission agreed to undertake a major overhaul of 173 of its best PCCs over a three-year period, and to investigate the purchase of 200 new streetcars to replace the rest of the PCCs.


The first cars to be placed in service on the Toronto 
subway to augment the surface "Red Rocket" cars were
the G-Series cars, so called because they were built by 
the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Company 
for the Toronto Transit Commission. They entered 
service sometime in the early 1950s

This view shows one entering one of the Bloor-Danforth subway station (probably Old Mill) outbound from 
downtown sometime in the 1960s. 

They ran in "married pairs" (4, 6 or 8 cars) and were described as "extremely robust". A total of 140 cars 
were built. At the end of their working lives, 4 pairs 
were converted by the TTC as work cars, one pair as 
tunnel washer, two as rail grinders and one as garbage

Only one pair survives intact today at the Halton County Radial Railway in Milton, Ontario, about 25 miles (40 km) west of Toronto. 

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Six of the G Series cars (G-2) had aluminum bodies
instead of steel.

We see one here, leading a string of red G-1 cars near Rosedale subway station, in the 1960s.

Rosedale at that time was one of only a few places 
where subway cars could be viewed in the open between Union and Eglinton on the original Yonge Street line

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones


Electric motor 6733 exiting the tunnel into a trench at
PORTAL HEIGHTS along the Deux Montagnes line. 
The stop was formerly named CANORA after the CAnadian 
NOrthern RAilway, the ancestor of CN. One of 6 m.u. 
motors built in 1952, pulling 88-seat trailers in commuter service, CN 6733 operated with other electrics through the Mount Royal Tunnel from a platform at Gare 
Centrale/Central Station in downtown Montreal,
well into the 70s .
Deux Montagnes (French for Two Mountains), is a
bedroom community in the Montreal area.

Constructed in 1914, the tunnel became necessary to 
prevent CN trains from going a log way around the Island
of Montreal, as was the case with their competitors,
the Canadian Pacific (CPR) and  Grand Trunk Railway 
(GTR) The bore measures approximately 5 km (3.1 mi)
and has an
ascending grade of 0.6% from Gare Centrale to the end 
of the tunnel. Tunnel boring started from each end and 
met in the middle in 1913, with an alignment error less t
han one inch (2.5 cm)

VIA  Rail trains to/from Northern Quebec and the
route to Quebec City (Jonquiere) also used the tunnel 
until cancelled in 1990.
Due to a small ventilation shaft in the middle, all trains 
through the tunnel had to be pulled by CN electric  boxcab
cab locomotives. A pair of newer GE steeple cab 1100hp 86-ton locos (675 and 6727) pulling conventional passenger cars, also formed part of the commuter fleet. View
everything including construction, rail stock described
above and the other portal of this tunnel (before Gare
Centrale became covered in 1943 after being in construction for some time but stopped due to the Great Depression.

You can see the interior of Gare Centrale at:

Today (after changing the electrical system from 2400V DC 
to 25000V AC and the catenary), electrified commuter
trains from the Agence Metropolitaine de Transport (AMT)
still provide commuter service to Deux Montagnes through 
the Mount Royal Tunnel.
Also shown is Electric motor 6732

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
A CN commuter train powered CN 6713 and one more 
electric boxcab exits the tunnel under Mont Royal at the
Portal Heights station of the Mount Royal Tunnel, on the Central Station (Montreal)-Deux-Montagnes commuter 
line around 1975. The street above is Rue Jean Talon
Ouest and  to the right is the eastern edge of the Town of Mount Royal (Ville Mont-Royal), which has its own station further up the line.

The GE boxcabs were manufactured in 1914-17 and 
mostly used during rush hours, as they could haul a
number of regular coaches. Throughout the day and
weekends, motors such as CN 6732 shown on this page
were used. Three steeple cabs cab units, 6725-27 were 
also employed, to be later featured on this page.

In 1995, CN abandoned the commuter service altogether
and retired all the electric units, as the voltage was 
changed to accommodate a newer type of electric traction. Management of the line also changed. The new setup and 
map is at:

All the GE boxcab electrics were preserved, except CN 6713. Among those preserved,
CN 6711 is at Exporail, south of Montreal and CN 6710 
at Deux-Montagnes, northwest of the city. 
View it on a section of track at:


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Boxcab electric CN 6714 and CN 6715 lead a string 
of conventional coaches northbound,  on the 
Montreal to Deux-Montagnes line from Gare 
Centrale/Central Station through the
Mount Royal Tunnel.

The fleet, composed of 6 (6710-6715) was mainly used
during weekday peak hours and only 6711 and 6713 were preserved. The line was explained elsewhere on this page.

Photo: Massey F. Jones 


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
CN 6732, an MU electric, approaching the CN VAL ROYAL
commuter station on north-end Montreal in 1972. The street 
below is Rue Grenet, where Massey lived for awhile, while
being posted with the RCAF at Canadair, nearby on a project. The station, featuring a pot-bellied stove in the centre of the waiting room, has since been destroyed.

The MUs,  added to the CN roster in 1952 were numbered
 6730-6747 and built by the Canadian Car and Foundry
Company in Montreal. Usually, there was a powered car at 
each end and they operated in the push-pull mode. 

Very fast on the acceleration, the MUs ran on 2,400  volts
DC through the Mount Royal Tunnel to avoid fumes through
the tunnel and  used mostly during non-peak periods on the
Montréal-Deux-Montagnes line, supplemented during peak
hours by Box Cab and Centre Cab electrics, to be featured
later on this page. Opposed to powered units and trailers,
the Boxcabs and Centre Cab locomotives could any amount
of standard passenger cars to suit commuter traffic.

All of the units were taken  out of service in 1995 and the line
reconstructed to 25 Kilovolts AC, to accept the new 
AMT Electric Multiple Units  (AMT stands for Agence Métropolitaine de Transport)
de_transportThe Montreal-Deux-Montagnes has been in constant usesince 1918 was  originally ran from Montreal to Ottawa and beyond by CN using steam (except through the tunnels, which became the electrics very purpose). 
A very good  in-depth look at the tunnel and the stations:

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The CN Val-Royal commuter  station near Rue Grenet 
in the St-Laurent District of Montreal dates back to 1918
and the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR),  which ran a 
line between  Gare Centrale/Central Station in downtown Montreal and St-Eustache (renamed Deux-Montagnes),
with electric locomotives. CN took over operations in
1923, to about 1993. 

Its original name was Lazard, after the banking concern 
who underwrote construction of the Mount Royal Tunnel 
and it was changed to Val-Royal in 1926. When this photo 
was taken between 1969 and 1974, the station still had a
pot belly stove in the middle of the floor and a brass wicket separated the agent from the passengers, who were seated around the waiting room on a hard bench against 3 walls.

In addition to serving commuters on the Montreal-Deux-Montagnes mainline, a small yard beyond 
the station supported a very short (about 1 km) branch line, 
(the Cartierville branch), where selected Multiple Units 
(MU) short turned back to downtown Montreal during rush hour.  An amusement park (Parc  Belmont) was at the end 
of the Cartierville branch for several years. 

The Deux-Montagnes line underwent great changes in
the mid-1990s, including owners, equipment and voltage.
Following vandalism after abandonment, CN requested permission from Transport Canada and the station was demolished June 5, 1995.

Almost at the same place, the new operators built a stop 
called Bois-Franc, the original name of the area and 
connected the rail operation into the Montreal and Laval 
bus systems for fares and transfers. This view shows a
multiple unit (MU) bound for Deux-Montagnes from 
downtown Montreal. The MU went to the South Carolina Railroad Museum in Winnsboro SC after retirement.

his pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
This tunnel passes under some apartments in South
Edmonton on the old CPR right of Way, now called 
"The Ribbon of Steel" designated by Alberta 
Infrastructure and the City of Edmonton for the
preservation of streetcar rail in Edmonton. 

The corridor formerly linked the South Edmonton
CPR station (Strathcona) to the CNR yard downtown,
now the Grant McEwan University campus, shown in 
these pages.  Part of the system includes the High Level Bridge. Ex-Osaka No. 247 or a suitable alternate, operate through the 
tunnel on trips run by the Edmonton Radial 
Railway Society, from Victoria Day weekend in May to Canadian Thanksgiving weekend in October. View the 
ERRS and their schedule at http://www.edmonton-radial- 


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
After having crossed the High Level Bridge, Osaka 
247 arrives at the Edmonton Radial Railway Terminus
at Gateway Blvd (103 St) at 84 Ave in South Edmonton 
(Strathcona) in the vicinity of the Farmer’s Market in
2006. The curved tracks lead into the car barn.

One of a handful of streetcars operated by volunteers 
of the Edmonton Radial Railway Society, it operates daily 
every 40 minutes from between 109 St & 110 St at 100 
Ave downtown, to Strathcona. Trips run daily every 40 
minutes, May long weekend to Canadian Thanksgiving 
Day. The fare for Age 6 and over is $4.00 with stopovers 
permitted. View times and fares at:


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The interior of Osaka #247 is sparse but functional.
Notice the absence of virtually any comfort. The
streetcar is mostly designed to handle standing crowds,
rather than seated passengers and served Osaka residents well. 

The  Edmonton Radial Railway Society purchased it for
spare parts but it arrived in such excellent condition that
the plans were revised and the car kept for the future 
High Level Bridge Line. Osaka #247 saw first service
in 1995 with the help of a generator trailer and finally 
made the first trip across the High Level Bridge under overhead lines in 1997.


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The strap hangers and Japanese language signs
have been preserved inside Osaka #247.

It was built in 1921 and rebuilt in 1947 following WWII. 
Osaka #247 remained in service in Osaka until 1990
when it was purchased by the Edmonton Radial Railway Society.


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Electric tram #621 of the Montreal and Southern Counties proceeding east on Churchill Blvd. at the corner of Empire 
Ave. in Greenfield Park. The tram #621 was one of the later models used by the railway before the tracks were pulled up about 1956 because of competition from the Chambly Bus Company. To the right of the tram you can see part 
of one of the two Greenfield Park stations that protected passengers for more than thirty years. The other station 
was near the corner of Devonshire Road (now called Victoria Ave.) The playground of Empire Park is also partially visible. Where the playground once stood you'd now find the modern Greenfield Park Library. 
This picture was submitted by John Riley and was taken about 1950 and is part of the Graham MacDonald collection.
Montreal and Southern Counties tram photos taken in Greenfield Park. The first is tram 105 traveling west along Churchill Blvd. and has just passed the corner of Springfield Ave. To the left of the tram you can see the Hollingdrake Building dominated by Hollingdrake's Store. To the right of
the electric railway car you can see towards Fairfield Ave. 
and in the distance Taschereau Blvd. The photo is from 
1955 and is part of Normand Simard's collection of trams
and trains.
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
Montreal & Southern Counties tram No. 105 on 
Churchill Blvd. in Greenfield Park heading west after
passing the corner of Murray Ave. The white building to
the left of the tam is the Pentecostal Church. In the
distance to the right is a gray colored building called
the Perras Building. The tram is approaching the 
corner of Devonshire Road (now called Victoria Ave. 
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
This photo dating from 1953 shows Montreal & Southern Counties tram No. 105 traveling west on Churchill Blvd. in Greenfield Park between Hubert St. and Murray Ave.
The tram has just passed St. Anastase Church (not visible), 
the pinkish colored brick building in the distance on the left 
is the Letourneau Building, and the white doors to the left 
of the approaching car are those of the Greenfield Park
Fire Station on the corner of Springfield Ave. and 
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
This picture was submitted by John Riley. The photo was taken in 1955 and is from the Normand Simard collection. 
Edmonton Radial Railway Society #42, passing
through the 1905 Street in front of the Masonic
Hall Museum in Fort Edmonton. The top floor contains
the Masonic Lodge – Ivanhoe artifacts
while food services are on the bottom floor. 

The streetcar operates on a loop track within
Fort Edmonton Park, ferrying visitors through various “Streets” depicting the areas in which the various
restored buildings are located.  There is the 1846 Fort, 
then 1885 Street, 1905 Street and 1920 Street.

View the streetcar track layout at


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The interior of ERRS streetcar #42. 

Notice the period signs, overhead on each side and 
the rattan seats with reversible backrests, a floor 
designed to collect water runoff from snowy boots. 

In this type of streetcar, the operator also has his own
compartment and passengers benefitted from
"natural air conditioning", achieved by raising the 
window at each seat at any height desired. Some may 
also notice the excellent woodwork.


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Already into the the Edmonton Radial Railway paint 
scheme, this car, sitting at the ERRS main workshop
at Fort Edmonton in July 1994, just need finishing
touches by a team of dedicated volunteers who like
to refinish old streetcars.

The Edmonton Radial Railway (which the society is
named after) operated streetcars on Edmonton streets
from 1908 to 1946, before changing its name to the 
present Edmonton Transit System (ETS)


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
This wreck, seen here at Fort Edmonton in July 
1994 near the ERRS workshop, will eventually be
lovingly restored to pristine condition inside and out by 
members of the Edmonton Radial Railway Society as one
of their operational streetcars.
This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Edmonton Radial Railway volunteers like to fix old
streetcars at their Strathcona car shop in South Edmonton
and these two, which are periodically run on the
High Level Bridge, are no exception. The Strathcona car
shop houses those running on the High Level Bridge, while 
the main workshop at Fort Edmonton accommodates those
running within the Park.

On the left is Hannover # 601 http://www.edmonton-radial- while its companion is 
Melbourne #930


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) PCC Electric #4313 
at Toronto Ont.

The PCC (Presidents' Conference Committee) streetcar
(tram) design was first built in the United States in the
1930s. The design proved successful in its native country,
and after World War II was licensed for use elsewhere in 
the world. The PCC car has proved to be a long-lasting
icon of streetcar design, and PCC cars are still in service
in various places around the world.

This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of "The Jim Parker Collection"
TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) #2766 Peter 
Witt Electric Streetcar at Toronto Ont. June 1973

Mr. Witt completed the first prototype in 1914 and filed 
his patent for the car design in 1915. G.C. Kuhlman Car
Company then delivered 130 cars of this design to 
Cleveland in 1915 and 1916. From this point the design was licensed to a number of cities that needed large capacity trolleys. Toronto Transportation Commission ordered 575 
cars from 1921 to 1923 and opeated them until 1965.
Production continued until the introduction of the PCC
streetcar in the mid 1930s.
Also see:
The Peter Witts, Toronto Transportation Commission

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker 
TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) #2766 Peter Witt 
Electric Streetcar at Toronto Ont. June 1973
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker 
Back in 1972, while everyone was converting to diesel
buses, the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) decided
to keep its streetcars and refurbished some of their
PCC  streetcars (shown on this page).  It was then
proposed to also add some of their older pieces of 
equipment for tourist service. 

Peter Witt streetcars 2894 and 2766 were reconditioned. 
One would be used in a service called the BELT LINE 
TOUR TRAM, while the other one would be a standby 
unit.  Rides would cost 30 cents and connection could be
made to other TTC routes, using a green transfer instead
or red or black. TOURTRAM service started on 
June 24th 1973 to Labour Day (September) of that year.

2894 is at the TTC Russell carhouse on 15 Oct 1978 
during a visit by the Toronto Chapter of the Canadian 
Railroad Historical Association (CRHA). 
This "Small Witt" belongs in the series of 2800-2898 
(even numbers only), manufactured by the Ottawa Car Company in 1923 and it operated in regular TTC service
until 1963 and subsequently TOURTRAM service from 
1973 to 1986 when the tour and charter operation cam
e to an end . 

The car in front of the 2894 of the lineup is 2424, described below. Read all about the TTC Peter Witt streetcars at: 

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Now operating nights and weekends and a bit further
afield within the downtown periphery on charters,
TOURTRAM proved to be fairly successful. 
Faced with an increased ridership in 1975,  TTC
required an extra car for its operation, complementing 
their 2894 and 2766 already in service. It  then looked 
to the Halton County Radial Railway Museum at Milton, Ontario for a new car and "Large Witt" 2424 was found suitable.

Built by the Canadian Car & Foundry  in 1921 as a
two-man car in the series 2300-2498 (even numbers only), 
2424 was converted to one-man operation in 1941 and 
retired in 1954 when the Yonge Street Subway opened.
Rescued from a scrap dealers yard in 1962, it  was
transported to Milton  (about 25 miles west of downtown Toronto),  where it was returned to operating condition. 
While being loaned to the TTC  by their TOURTRAM 
and charter service, 2424 was painted in the TTC 
scheme. TOURTRAM operations had ceased in 1986
and the car was returned to the Museum in 1990, 
where it still operates today.

This photo shows the TTC 2424 at Russell carhouse
near downtown Toronto on October 15th 1978. 
TTC 2766 is in front and TTC 2894 is in the rear. 

View the history of the Beltline service at: 


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Toronto & York streetcar #48, circa 1918, outside 
city limits at Yonge Street and Lawton Blvd, (just 
north of St Clair Avenue East) in 1918. Research puts
the car in Deer Park (Lawton Park),  with Christ Church (Anglican) in the background to the right.

# 48 was manufactured by the Preston Car & Coach 
Company of Preston, Ontario (now part of Cambridge)
in 1911, as part of the series of 8 streetcars (43-50). 
When the TTC took over the T&YRR inherited 54 
pieces of equipment including some that were built as
early as 1896. A number of streetcars (14) were almost immediately scrapped, including 

Massey F. Jones collection
Montreal Tramways Co. Tourist Observation car 
Montraeal Quebec, aprox 1905
Jim Parker Collection
The Canadian Railway Museum (now Exporail) at 
St Constant QC, leased Montreal observation car
No 3 to Heritage Park in Calgary for a number of years 
where it was lettered "Calgary Municipal".  Here,
during the 1984 summer season, it is taking passengers 
from 14 St SW and Heritage Drive to the Park's main
gate a kilometer away, instead of one of their regular streetcars.  It was returned to Exporail in 1991.

Montreal Tramways No 3 was one of four of that type
ever built. Designed by a Montrealer and fondly 
nicknamed "The Golden Chariot", all the cars were
 painted cream with gold trim and elegantly decorated 
with brass arches bearing a beaver emblem. No 1, built
in 1905,  proved such a success that No 2 followed in
1922 with similar features. In 1924, No 3 and No 4 were 
built but they were all-steel (instead of steel and wood)
and did not have the beaver or the overhead arches.
The seats on all four were arranged tier-style, with a
centre aisle.

In 1905, it cost 25 cents to ride, 6 times the regular fare 
at the time.  Several circuits were offered through the 
years and none was part of the regular city fare but the 
10-mile tour or so around the Mountain (Mount Royal) 
was always designed to showcase Le Mont Royal
(about 230 meters high) and various other attractions 
but the streetcars did not ride on top of the mountain 
itself except in excursion service,  because of concerns
about steep grades and a tunnel. The observation cars
also never had a roof and, if it rained, passengers were transferred to a regular car and the Golden Chariot 
headed for the nearest car barn. Operations ceased
1985 with the demise of the Montreal streetcar system, 
after which they were only available for charter.

Their last day of operation was Aug 30, 1959,  when No 2 participated in the final ceremonial parade, when one of 
every type of MTC streetcar was brought out and run on 
the track if possible.  No 1 and No 3 are preserved at 
Exporail, just south of Montreal, while No 2 is at the
Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport ME and
No 4 is at the Connecticut Trolley Museum in East
Windsor CT. You can take a winter ride on 
No 2 at: . Exporail regularly has regularly run No 3 on its property 
during the summer. View a splendid picture of No 1 on
display in Exporail at:

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal No 14, more familiarly called the 
Heritage Park Streetcar and formally known as The
ENMAX Electric Streetcar System;  heading home 
empty on the last trip of the season, October 14th 2013
around 5:00 pm. 

Car 14 was the very last streetcar to run in Calgary,
from the Ogden CPR shops to City Hall downtown on December 29th, 1950.  It was donated to Heritage Park 
in 1973, who restored it, to move visitors from the corner 
of 14th Street SW and Heritage Drive to the main gate. 
The car is double-ended with the trolley pole simply 
lowered at the end of the run and the other one raised
before the streetcar reverses direction. Between 2007
and 2010, the Park underwent a great expansion. At that
time, the streetcar tracks were removed and then 
reinstalled on a new route, doubling the journey. Enmax (formerly The City of Calgary Electric System - now a 
private corporation) was the major sponsor. 

More streetcar parts were found and donated to 
Heritage Park, which then built a replica (No 15) in
1991. During the summer season, either or both 
streetcars operate between the parking lot and the 
main gate. While walking from the different parking
lots to the main gate is not too far, taking a noisy trolley 
the long way around for about 15 minutes or so is a
lot more fun for a loonie (the Canadian dollar coin). 


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The double-door setup of Heritage Park cars 14 and 15,
also called by some “a Prairie Style Door”. The other
side at the back is identical. 

Thomas Henry McCauley, superintendent of the Calgary electric streetcar railway, from the beginning in 1909 to
his retirement about the 1940s,  designed the system in 
order to enable an ever growing Calgary population to
board and alight quickly during rush periods on the busier routes. He held several streetcar patents over the years.

The door mechanism patent was filed on 5 June 1917
and issued on 20 Nov 1917 (now CA 180474), while the 
door patent was filed on 5 Jun 1917 and issued 22 Jan 
1918 (now CA 181729). Both original submissions are
now on archives at the Canadian Intellectual Property 
Office in Ottawa. 

The Patent also made its way to the States as US 1249976
The latter gives a better read than the pdf files, which 
are a scan of the 1917 originals.

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Car #15 with the door open
This picture was submitted by Massey F. Jones
Specification of Letters Patent. Patented Dec. 11, 1917 Application filed February 28, y1917. Serial No. 151,475.v
To all whom it may concern.
Be it known that I, THOMAS HENRY MCCAULEY, a citizen of the Dominion of 
Canada and subject of England, residing at Calgary, in the Province of Alberta and Dominion of Canada, have invented new and useful Street-Car Doors, of which the following is a specification.
The present invention relates to street car doors, and aims to provide a novel 
arrangement of the entrance and exit doors, providing for compactness in construction, and enabling the entrance and exit doors to be placed at the front end of the car with 
a short vestibule, such a vestibule being of advantage in that it will not overhang the opposite track in turning corners.
The present invention also enables ordinary short vestibule single entrance cars
to be converted into the double door construction, or to be equipped with the entrance 
and exit doors at one end in a compact arrangement.
Another object of the invention is the provision of novel means for operating either or
both of the entrance and exit doors, in order that they can be operated individually or jointly.
It is also within the scope of the invention to provide the aforesaid improvements, 
which are of comparatively simple construction, which can be readily installed without prohibitive alterations or expense, .and which will increase the efficiency and utility 
of the car.
Thomas Henry McCauley also provided an invention patent for a mechanism to
open and close the door from inside and retract the step while the car was running.

Of note in these pictures is the large “cowcatcher”, prominent in these days to scoop
up anything that might fall in front of the streetcar (mostly pedestrians not yet 
familiar with the streetcar speed at crossings). Note the air whistle on top of the 
centre window.

This is an extract from the patent for the "Prairie" style
door on early Calgary Transit streetcars.
(some typos corrected for the purpose of this caption)
Submitted by Massey F. Jones
The interior of Heritage Park #14 or #15. The streetcars
are mostly alike inside and outside and used alternately.
Streetcar operation is daily during June, July and August
but weekends only at the beginning and end of the visitor season. More details and a 15-minute technical video of
No 15 in action at:
This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The controls on Car #15
This picture was submitted by Massey F. Jones
The controler on Car #15
Ottawa Transportation Commission, or simply the OTC, streetcar #108 on Bank Street in the 1950s or so.
All Ottawa streetcars were removed from service in 1959.

At the very bottom, close to the track under the anticlimber
is a spring actuated device; which entered into action, to strongly fling anything away which was going to proceed
under the streetcar. 

Watch a very good 9:40-minute video of old Ottawa 
streetcars (including  line car, a snow sweepers and old 
Ottawa CP) at:

The 8mm sequences, shot by a very close friend of 
Massey, are a little fuzzy but highly historical. The 
(duplicate) slide is probably from this friend, now
passed away.


Massey F. Jones collection 
As a tribute to the Canadian National Exhibition 
celebrating its centennial in 1978, the TTC, GO Transit 
and other groups participated in a transportation exhibit 
and set up 10 vehicles on the north side of what came to be called "Centennial Square, just east of the Dufferin Gate. 

The development of the streetcar was illustrated by 5 
vehicles, notably Peter Witt Streetcar #2894. The car 
was built in 1923 by the Ottawa Car Company and served 
on the TTC for a long time. After retirement from daily
service, it was used by the TTC for special excursions
with the TOURTRAM beltline route and reserved 
functions. Today, ex-TTC #2894 is preserved in operating condition at the Halton County Radial Railway  in Milton (Rockwood) ON.

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
A blow-up of a 35mm Kodachrome slide from a series,
taken by Massey during early summer 1978 and used by
the Canadian Forces for briefing Canadian National 
Exhibition Air Show participants. 

Visible in this shot, is Union Station, just about in the
middle at the end of the track network. The CPR 
John Street Roundhouse is to the left of the CN Tower
and Spadina Yard just beyond the Tower.  The flight 
lasted 6 ½ hours around the Tower from several heights, 
with vertical and oblique photos taken, so that pilots
could home on a very specific point (at Toronto Island
airport) during the flypast and parachutists, 
hit the proper drop zone

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Montreal Tramways 200, a Birney Safety Car, 
during a visit at the Canadian Historical Railway
Association (now Exporail) in the early-70s; when
Exporail was in infancy as a museum. Many cities 
and towns used the Birney Safety Car and the company 
built over 4000 - all identical. Car 200 was purchased by 
the Montreal Tramways Company (MTC) from Detroit
in 1924 and it operated on Montreal streets until 1947,
notably on the Montreal North route 40 and Remembrance Road route 11, the latter on the Mont Royal, Montreal's mountain; from Lac des Castors (Beaver Lake) to Cote
des Neiges. Massey frequently rode that one, during his teenage.

Not all Birneys were double-end but the advantage of a double-end trolley was that the the car didn't have to go 
through a loop to turn around, the motorman merely
switching ends at the terminus, so this type of cars was
mainly assigned to outlying areas in larger cities where, because its low capacity it didn't render the car suitable 
for rush hour service. Three Canadian Birney car 
strong-holds were Halifax, Toronto and Victoria.


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The interior of Montreal Tramways Car 200, at the 
Canadian Historical Railway
Association (now Exporail) in the early-70s.

These Birney streetcars built by Brill in 1919 were
put in service with Montreal Tramways Co. in 1924.

At the end of its passenger carrying life, Montreal 
Tramways 200 was used on company service,
transporting fare boxes within a MTCo. Division from 
1945 to 1953. In 1954, it was stored as a historic artifact 
and is one of the very few Birney cars in operating 
condition on the continent.

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Edmonton Transit Car 42 at Fort Edmonton Park, 
southwest of the city nearing the boarding platform after completing another run around the Park perimeter in
June 1994. Almost every trip fills the car to capacity 
during summer months.

Read all about Car 42 and other operating ERRS
streetcars at:


This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
The body of No. 42 was recovered in 1981 and lovingly
restored by the Edmonton Radial Railway Society
volunteers at Fort Edmonton Park prior to reentering 
service in 1984,. Others streetcars were also restored
or in the process of being restored at their carbarn in Strathcona (South Edmonton). The ERRS also operates streetcars between downtown Edmonton and 
South Edmonton during the summer
This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Birney Safety Car 400, displayed at the Provincial 
Museum, Victoria BC summer 1976.

In 1921, the City of Victoria placed an order with the 
Preston Car and Coach Company in Preston, Ontario
for 10 Birney cars. They were assembled in the Kitsilano Workshops of the BC Electric Railway (BCER),
numbered 400 through 409 and put into service.

Car 400 served for 25 years, before being retired in
1948. It was then sold to the Mayo Lumber Company
in Cowichan BC, for use as a bunkhouse,  before being 
rescued as a skeleton and brought to the Provincial
Museum, who restored it at the cost of $15,000. They then displayed Car 400 in front of their Transport Museum  in Cloverdale, at the northern edge of Downtown Victoria, 
as an example of an authentic streetcar which formerly 
ran on the streets of Victoria. View a 1944 system map, including the #2 route at:

In 1990, the Nelson Electric Tramway Society brought 
Car 400 to Nelson for display, under a lease agreement 
and in 1992, it found a permanent home in Nelson when 
the BC Transportation Museum closed. Being somewhat damaged by the elements over the years, Car 400 was 
slowly refurbished by the Society over 7 years and, by 
1999, ready for service the following spring, along with 
the Car #23.

This pictures were taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
CNR Electric #130 at Rail City, N.Y. Oct 1957
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CSR (Cornwall Street Railway) Electric #11 at
Cornwell Ont, 1960's

Cornwall Street Railway, Light and Power
Company, Limited (1902 - 31 December 1970)
Conversion from street cars to trolley buses 1949.
Electric railway freight operation continued until 1971,
shortly after its acquisition by CN Rail.

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker 
TCR (Toronto Civic Railway #55 at the
Rockwood Ont. Museum Oct 1956.

The Halton County Radial Railway is a working
museum of electric streetcars, other railway vehicles, trolleybusses and buses. 
Toronto Civic Railways 55 is one of the few surviving Preston-built cars

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker 
CP Rail gas electric #50, Lake Louise Tramway

The Lake Louise Tramway was a unique operation like no
other in Canada. It was a narrow gauge (42 inch) line built in 1912 by the Canadian Pacific Railway to transport passengers to and from its Chalet Lake Louise in the Rocky Mountains 
of Alberta. It was operated under the Hotel Department. Constructed as a short branch of its system, the CPR just overlooked telling the federal government it was going to be narrow gauge! This got around the need for local approval of building the line.

This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the Jim Parker Collection
CP Rail gas electric #50, Lake Louise Tramway
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the Jim Parker Collection
CNR Battery storage powered passanger car #15798
The Jitney, built in 1937 and retired in 1961.
This self propelled rail car was used to make four round 
trips everyday except Sunday between 
Lunenburg NS and Mahone Bay NS
This picture was taken at the Halifax & Southwestern Railway Museum,
Lunenburg Nova Scotia
Around 1983, Massey purchased a few Calgary streetcar slides from the Glenbow Archives, for his personal use. Glenbow Archives is situated on the 6th floor of the Glenbow Museum,  Canada's largest repository for history of life
in Western Canada from 1870 to 2000, with an extensive collection of original books, prints, negatives  and other reference material.

The views depict the Calgary Municipal Railway  (now Calgary Transit) circa 1911-1919. The captions, researched from printed and web media are accurate as possible.

The pride and joy of Calgary Municipal Railway
was this Observation Car, ordered from the 
Preston Car and Coach Company of Preston, 
Ontario in 1911 as one of a kind and called it No.50,
which was later given to another streetcar. It featured 
a striped canvas top, several lights adding to night time enjoyment and tier seating; one seat 6 inches above the
one below. To Calgarians, the Observation Car wa
s simply known as the Scenic Car. With no windows
on the side, passengers could enjoy the open air. 

The canvas top had yet to be installed, as it made it's
first trip (shown here) to the Exhibition Grounds
(now the Calgary Stampede site) July 4, 1912 with the Navassarxs Ladies Band.  The car was scrapped in 1946,
due to decreasing revenue. Vancouver, Edmonton and Montreal also had  observation cars of their own design. 
The Golden Chariot in Montreal (shown on this page
briefly loaned to Calgary), outlasted them all. 

Glenbow Archives NA-2553-5 

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
The number 50 can clearly be seen on the chariot-style
dash. The car is seen here on Centre Street just south 
of 8 Ave South, facing northbound (just about in front
of the Calgary Tower today) with the conductor 
standing with a bullhorn for commentary. 

The Scenic Car was fitted with a striped canvas canopy, which could be removed and stored under the rear seat.
Fifty passengers could be seated on wood slats,
arranged in tiers with a 6-inch rise between tiers. 
Each side had 7 panels of plate glass mirrors and 
the railings and gates were polished bronze.
The car had front and rear drop platforms and boarding 
was from the rear. The colour was white with thin red 
and gold striping and lettering.

Glenbow Archives NA-924-1

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
The Scenic Car is now on 9th Avenue SE, with
Empire Hotel in background, circa 1912. It has now
lost  its number on the chariot-style dash and it now reads:"Seeing Calgary  25¢" and "CMRY".
With the motorman is at the controls, the conductor
poses with a large bullhorn that he used during the
run for commentary. He  also collected the fares. No employee on the spare board was allowed to drive the
Scenic Car Car. 

Notice the coloured lights under the dash and the large cowcatcher. Also the original striped awning  has also
been replaced with one of a solid colour but the fringes
have been kept. 

Glenbow Archives NA-2813-1 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
A one hour circle tour cost 25 cents,  about 5 times the 
price of a regular streetcar fare.  Various circuits were available and there were about 7 departures. Some
routes were changed over time but the most popular 
were the South Calgary route (shown here) to the 
highest point in the city offering a view of the Rocky Mountains and the Bowness line, offering several 
sylvan views along the Bow River. 

The Scenic Car is now on 17 Avenue SW in the vicinity
just west of 14 Street during a circuit above the city.
Our  postcard looks northeast into the Scarboro 
subdivision and new houses on Shelbourne Street, 
circa 1917. 

Glenbow Archives NA-2813-2

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railway No. 17 with its crew beside
a transfer car between West and East Calgary along 9 
Avenue. The fellow to the right is Walter "Spike"

The car was built by the Preston Car Company and
had a capacity of 52 seated passengers. The conductor collected the fare, while the motorman operated the
vehicle. It isn't yet fitted with the Macauley Door, 
patented by Superintendent Thomas Macauley 
(shown in another photo on this page).  The modification consisted in removing the right front window (behind the crew) and fitting a full-sized door, designed to help
with faster loading and unloading during peak hours.

Glenbow Archives NA-265-13


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railway No 31 at an unknown location. 

Numbers 19-36 were single-truck cars, referred by Calgarians as "dinkies". They were single-end with a
large vestibule in the rear for smoking.  The dinkies
had a long rigid wheelbase and tended to derail on
turnouts (switches). Six of these were traded to 
Saskatoon for double-truck cars. No 31 was built by 
the Preston Car Company in 1911 and it seated 36 passengers. It was scrapped in 1918.

Glenbow Archives NA-1132-1


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Car No 1 at the Calgary Municipal carbarn with some officials and the conductor. It was built by the Ottawa 
Car Company in 1909 and seated 44 passengers. 

Second from the right is Mr. Thomas Macauley, who 
was the first Superintendent and remained in the post
until after World War 1.  He invented the "Prairie Type" front door  by removing the front right window of the car 
and installing a "kitty corner" door instead.  Many 
other features that he patented were also used on early
wooden cars

Glenbow Archives NA-2891-1 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railway No 6, built by the Ottawa
Car Company in 1909, on the Burns Avenue run
(on the other side of the Calgary Stampede in Ramsay). Notice the horizontal bars across the windows,
preventing passengers from sticking limbs outside 
while the car was in motion, a common practice then. 

The conductor collected fares and carried a change dispenser, a practice which endured until 
"Exact Change" was introduced for Canadian transit services in the mid-50s or so. One slot in the changer 
held quarters, the other dimes and the third one nickels. Paper money was in the conductor's pocket and anything above 5 dollars (a tidy sum then), was usually not
changed, so that he wouldn't run out of coins. 
As for the motorman, his sole responsibility
was to operate the car.

Glenbow Archives NA-1299-1 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railways car G started service 
as a water sprinkler with front and rear cabs but was 
rebuilt to a 42-foot gravel dump car. The location is
most probably on  CMR property.  The shovel behind 
the motor car,  has been loaded on to a low centre of
gravity flatcar. 

Glenbow Archives NA-2891-22


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Officially, this unit was designated as H but unofficially, nicknamed "Mary Ann". The  car, built in 1928 by
Canadian Car & Foundry, Montreal for the Calgary Municipal Railway was a plough in the winter and a
rotary broom in summer.. 

CMR Work equipment consisted of sweepers, track sprinklers, flat work motors such as G (equipped with snowplows in winter) and a repair car for derailed units. There were no tower cars and tower trucks were used instead. 

Glenbow Archives NA-2891-21 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary held the Victory Stampede, in honour of 
soldiers returning from World War 1 and this was 
probably the occasion, on 8 Ave SE and Centre St
(around the Calgary Tower today), as crowds gather 
along the sidewalks before or after the Stampede
Parade on August 25 1919.  The first Stampede was
held in 1912, but the second didn't happen until 1919.
The Armistice had been signed in 1918 but the only
returned to Canada in 1919.

8 Avenue today is a busy pedestrian mall, with cars and trucks restricted to deliveries and only during specific
hours. The buildings are made from sandstone, as all the wood buildings in the area were leveled by a fire in the
early morning hours of Nov. 7, 1886 and thereafter, sandstone became the building material of choice. Now declared a historical area, the entire block of buildings 
was modernized inside but the external façade of the 
each building was retained as much as possible.

Glenbow Archives NA-644-11


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railway No. 34 westbound, in
front of the Clarence Block at 120-8Ave SW around 
1920.  The building was owned by Senator James
Lougheed and named for one of his sons.
At one time, it held law offices for Lougheed and his
partner RB Bennett, later a Canadian Prime Minister ,
Max Aitken (Lord Beaverbrook) and John Brownlee,
later Premier of Alberta.

The 32-foot streetcar car was built by The Preston Car Company of Preston, Ontario and it seated 36 
passengers. It had single trucks with no air brakes 
as in later cars. Single truck streetcars were called
"dinkies" by Calgarians and tended to derail a lot on turnouts (switches).

Glenbow Archives NA-4391-3


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Streetcar 80, acquired from Springfield Mass., 
around 1919, is westbound in front of the Bank of
Montreal on 8 Ave & 1 St SW in this  1920-era view.
The bank had been here since 1886.  The car sits 48 passengers.
All-steel streetcar 80 is a PAYE (Pay As You Enter)
1-man car with a farebox, and the option of either
exiting from a large air-activated folding door in front 
and  a much smaller version of one at the rear, both 
activated by the motorman. At the rear door,
passengers stepped on a large treadle which activated
an outside folding step for alighting from the car.
The photo is probably taken around Calgary Stampede
time, as evidenced by the large Indian display on a post. 

Glenbow Archives NA-1241-968 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Westbound on 8 Ave x 1 St SW, Car 59 is about to 
reach the Hudson's Bay Store, which is the large white building to the right and still around today.  The streetcar could accommodate 52 seated passengers.

While 8 Ave was considered "Main Street" at the 
beginning of the 20th Century, it had become a pedestrian-only mall by early 1980, with strict rules for vehicular traffic and just when it is allowed on the mall. 
To the right is the Clarence Block, described elsewhere. 
The view is around 1920 at Stampede time (late summer), 
as evidenced by the bunting across the street and the Western-theme figurines attached to the posts. 

Glenbow Archives NA-1241-967 


Submitted by Massey F. Jones 
A few months near the end of electric streetcar  service, 
one of the or 80-90 steel streetcars  meets its 
replacement on the Louise Bridge (10 St NW) 
in the early-50s. The view looks north from about
today's 4 Ave x 10 St  in downtown Calgary.

In 1947, CMR, now called Calgary Transit System 
ordered 60 trolleybuses (CCF-Brill T-44 model) and
they were immediately placed in service in newer
routes. By 1950, all the streetcars has been removed
from Calgary streets. The last streetcar (No. 14)  ran
from Ogden to downtown on December 29th, 1950.
 Along with some parts, it was eventually donated to
Heritage Park in Calgary who restored it. Of  the 60 trolleybuses, only #422 in its original livery, has been preserved in a museum near Calgary.

Glenbow Archives NA-4260-1 

Submitted by Massey F. Jones

This next short series of pictures shows the interior of the Calgary Municipal  streetcar #84

Calgary Municipal No. 84 is one of the modern
streetcars built by the Canadian Car & Foundry in
Montreal in 1928. It was acquired along with 85 and 86. 
The car is 46'0" long, weighs 30,000 lbs. and seats 52 passengers. Six more (87-92) were purchased the
following year and all lasted to the end of streetcar 
service in 1950.
Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Calgary Municipal Railway No. 84, looking forward. 
It is the Canadian Car & Foundry model 2054, a 
1-man car, with front entrance and exit at the front and treadle exit at the rear through the smoking section. 
Notice the nice padded seats and windows that could 
be opened individually. The floor was wood slats, 
designed to capture mud and slush and be easily 
cleaned by hosing. To the front is the controller, shown 
in another picture.

Each side window could be opened individually, using a ratcheting system, where the customer pressed on two
small levers and pulled up the window to the desired
height. The bars above the front rows of seats are for standees that would be getting off shortly. The rest of 
the standees used the brass handles fitted to each outer 
seat. Passengers were often reminded frequent by the motorman during rush hours, to 
"More to the Rear, Please"

Glenbow Archives 2891-16

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
The motorman position, at the front of Calgary
Municipal Railway car No. 84. The view looks from
the ground directly into the streetcar, as passengers 
would see it on boarding after the doors opened.

Passengers entered by the front and placed either
tickets or money in the fare box partly seen to the
very right of the picture, then turned left into the 
streetcar. Exact change could be given by the motorman
on demand but it was frowned upon, as it held up the streetcar. To the left of the fare box is an electric coil 
heater for the motorman, as the doors frequently opened
and closed, letting the draft in.

Above the heater is the air brake, actuated by cylinders under the car. Next to it, the large black column is the controller, most of which were manufactured by Westinghouse, a large rheostat to control the juice to 
the motor. Turning the handle determined the speed. It featured a "dead man control", whereby when "full up"
as in the photo, the car cannot operate and the
motorman had to keep pressure on it to set the car in
motion. There is also a small lever for activating the 
front and rear doors. The seat is obvious but as a rule, motormen operated the car standing up. Finally, the
large wheel beside the seat is the emergency manual 
brake in case the air brake failed. 

Glenbow Archives 2891-14

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Smoking was still permitted on Calgary streetcars when
this photo was taken and a vestibule with a door was
provided at the back of the car for those who wished to 
do so during the trip. Barely visible above the door below
the number is the notation that the car was built by the Canadian Car & Foundry in Montreal. 
Submitted by Massey F. Jones
The bars inside are by the smoking room are for safety purposes but those at the rear of the smoking room were designed so that pranksters would not open the rear
window and pull the trolley pole cord. Only the centre
window could be opened totally.  It was a totally pul - out window, not the same type as the lateral ones on ratchet, which could be opened to a number of positions from an
inch to full-open. During inclement weather, some
motormen pulled out the window to reset the trolley pole 
and in some cities, it was an offence to open the
rear window. 

The X is the rear roll sign, inside a box lighted from 
within at night, to indicate the route. (X meant that 
the car was not in service). There could be a double X selected and the numbers on each roll usually went 
from 1 to 0 and from A to Z., so there could be for 
example a 5A route. The full route was indicated by
the front roll sign in a cabinet above the motorman.

To exit at the next stop, passengers pressed on a small buzzer between each window, which signaled the
motorman to stop. They then had the option of exiting 
front or rear. Those who exited through the rear stepped
on a large plate (the treadle). When the car came to a full stop, the rear door opened and a spring-loaded step came down from the vertical position, for the passenger to step 
on and alight. When the door closed, the step sprung 
back up and the car could then proceed. 

 Glenbow Archives 2891-15

Submitted by Massey F. Jones
Jim Booth took this series of pictures of two
Regina Streetcar while in the military south of
Moose Jaw Sask. 
The Regina streetcars were literally in 
the pasture near the farm house. The farm itself was
located south of Moose Jaw. The farmer was quite 
friendly, & happy that they asked if we could photograph 
the cars. He can't remember how cold it was, but he had 
my full artic clothing on. 

Regina Streetcar #40 and #49
As for the age of these cars all I can find out is that the 
last streetcar made its final run through the streets of 
Regina on September 5, 1950 

This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Regina Street cars #40
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta
Regina Street cars #49
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Taber Alberta

L&PS RY #L2  near the CN roundhouse at
London, Ont, late 1960's
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Booth, Willingdon AB
Among the diesel power for BC Hydro, were steeple
cab electric freight locomotives BCER 961 and 962, 
two of the three GE/ALCO electrics, acquired from the Oregon Electric Railway in 1946; formerly OER #21, 
22 and 23.  Built in 1912 they were renumbered 
respectively BCER 961, 960 and 962 and operated 
for a long time switching freight in the Vancouver area. Electric operation on the line ceased in 1981.
BCER 962 was scrapped back in 1959, while the 960 
was restored by the West Coast Railway Association 
and is located at their Museum in Squamish, BC. 
The #961 meanwhile was sold to Edmonton Transit 
who renumbered it to ETS 2001, a picture of which is 
on this page.

This view was taken at the BCH Carrall Street yard (formerly at the west 
end of the present Gastown in downtown Vancouver) 
circa 1974; on a trip with a friend. We motored from
eastern Alberta to his home in Prince George BC but
not before visiting every major rail facility enroute,
including in Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver and 
Victoria. BC Electric became BC Hydro (BCH), then Southern Railway of British Columbia (SRY).

This picture was taken and submitted by Massey F. Jones
Edmonton Transit steeple cab electric locomotive 2001
was purchased from BC Hydro (formerly their 961) to 
haul out debris while building the initial LRT sysyem
under Jasper Street around 1974.

The 2001 was built by Alco-General Electric in June 
1912 (Ser#3808) for the Oregon Electric Railway who numbered it OER 21.  It was sold in July 1946 to the
British Columbia Electric Railway (BCER) who
renumbered it 961 and used it for a number of years, switching freight around the Vancouver area.

This view is taken at the old ETS Cromdale Garage
located at 11631 - 80 Street, sometime in the late 
1970s. ETS 2001 was retired in 1999 and donated to 
the Edmonton Radial Railway Society and replaced
by 45 ton diesel GE locomotive ETS 2010, built in 
1949 and rebuilt by ETS. 

Photo Lorne Unwin - Massey F. Jones collection
BC Electric 960 in East Vancouver, likely at the Carrall Street Yard, around late-1960s mid-1970s.

Like the BCE 961 and 962, locomotive 960 is all-steel, measures 37' 7", weighs 125,400 lbs and is powered by
four GE 212A electric motors. It's double-ended and equipped with two trolleys, always used one at a time. 
And like the others, it was acquired from Oregon 
Electric in 1946.

The 960 is now at the West Coast Railway Heritage
museum at Squamish, BC.

Massey F. Jones collection
The rear of BCE 960 locomotive at  an unknown 
location. Over the years, BCER had 27 electric
locomotives on its roster and hauled 448,750 tons 
of freight. It interchanged with CNR, CPR, Great 
Northern, Milwaukee Road and Northern Pacific.

View a photo of the 960 in operation in 1970 at

The 961 featured in another photo is at

Massey F. Jones collection
Those depressions on the frame are "polling pockets"
which are used to push a piece of rolling stock, with the locomotive on one track and the piece of rolling stock
on an adjacent track;  by using a large heavy bar made 
from hardwood or steel about 8' long and 6" in diameter 
at the centre. One trainman would then hold the bar in 
the locomotive pocket, while another trainman would
place his end on the car to be pushed (which also had 
poling pockets). The engineer would then advance the locomotive very slowly and it would push the car gently
to the desired location. It's a practice that was not often 
used but it avoided switching and coupling.
Massey F. Jones collection
CNR Electric #14 at St. Catharines Ont. Sept 1955
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CNR Electric #15 at St. Catharines Ont. Sept 1955
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CNR Electric #21 at St. Catharines Ont. August 1956
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CNR Electric Sweeper #22 at Oshawa Ont. 1950's
Sweeper 22 was built in the NS&T shops in 1920
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the "Jim Parker Collection"
CNR Electric #22 at St. Catharines Ont. Sept 1955
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
CNR Electric Line-Car #31 at St. Catharines Ont. Sept 
1955. This car was used to repair the overhead catenary on the electric railway railway.
This picture was taken and submitted by Jim Parker
Electric Switching Engine at Delson Que. Sept 1978
This picture was taken by Allan Campbell and submitted by Jim Parker
CNR Electric #15707, April 15, 1966 at the CNR 
MacMillian Yard in Toronto, Ontario.
CNR 15707 was retired June 5, 1968 and scrapped in
Montreal, Quebec
This car was used to repair the overhead catenary on
the electric railway railway.
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the "Jim Parker Collection"
GRR Electric Front Motor #226 at Preston Ont.
This picture was submitted by Jim Parker and is part of the "Jim Parker Collection"

The Steam Engines of the CNR
The Steam Engines of the CPR

Canadian Train Stations
The Grain Elevators
of Western Canada
Untimely End
CN Locomotives
CP Locomotives
VIA Rail Locomotives
Canadian Cabooses
Canadian Railway Artifacts
Train Bridges and Trestles
 Canadian Railway Tunnels
with a detailed look at the
CPR Spiral Tunnels
 Canadian Old Logging Equipment
and Steam and Diesel Locomotives
Old Canadian Rolling Stock
 Passenger Cars
The Scrap Yard
The Halifax & South-Western Museum
 Old Canadian Rolling Stock 
Freight Cars
 Industrial and on Site Diesel Locomotives
 The Newfoundland Railway
Robot Cars

Two site worth looking at.

The Memory Lane Railway Museum in Middleton, Nova Scotia.
The only exclusive Dominion Atlantic Railway museum in the world

Welcome to the DAR DPI
A web community initiative intent on digitally preserving
the history of the Dominion Atlantic Railway


Visit our Home in Summerville Nova Scotia. This                    house was built in 1873.
Where we live and what we do
A                    Nova Scotia Snow Storm Hits Summerville
A Nova Scotia Snow Storm Hits Summerville
The Steam Locomotives of the CPR
The Steam Engines of the CNR
Railway Maintenance Equipment
And Old Railway Rolling Stock
Train Bridges and Trestles
Canadian Railway Tunnels
The Grain Elevators of Western Canada
Canadian National Railways Motive Power Statistics Index
Jerry Barnes' Garden Railway, The SCRR
The Nova                    Scotia Railway Heritage Society
The Nova Scotia Railway Heritage Society
Historic Aircraft Pictures
Visit John's Old Car and Truck Pictures
The Yard Limit's page on the
Windsor & Hantsport Railway (WHRC)
CN Pensioners' Association
The Stanley Steamer

For all you steam fans, this page is a must

Visit Lonnie Hedgepeth's 
of Rocky Mount, North Carolina site.
He has used the plans provided on Covered Bridge Plans  webpage and is 
building a Covered Bridge for his Live Steam train.
Many new pictures have been added including pictures of his Live Steam Engine
The building trades class at Darlington HS in Darlington, Wisconsin built this covered bridge for a local business man
 Tour the 64 remaining Covered Bridges
 of New Brunswick
The Covered Bridges that once
dotted Nova Scotia.
Lilies From the Valley
A Vast selection of Oriental and Asiatic previously cut commercially grown bulbs ready for shipment anywhere in Canada
Visit my Jeep page
A Picture Review of the Jeeps
from 1940 to the present
A Picture Review of the 
Nash, Hudson
and the cars of American Motors
A Picture Review of the Hudsons and Terraplanes
that were found in Australia
A Picture Review Studebaker
A Picture review of the Packard
A Picture Review of the
Pickup Truck from 1940 to 1969
A Picture review of the Volkswagen
A Picture Tour of the Kaiser Frazer
A                    Picture Tour of the
A Picture Tour of the Henry J
A Picture Tour of the Crosley
A Picture Review of the Chevrolet
from 1916 tto 1970
A Picture Review of the Ford
from 1908 to 1969
The Chrysler Airflow
View                    some of John Evan's Artwork
View some of
John' Evan's Artwork
This site has quite a collections
of John's artwork.
View these old cars as you haven't before.
Eric Gordon's Kaiser Rebuild
There are many pictures showing the
details of this Rebuild

Privacy Policy for

If you require any more information or have any questions about our privacy policy, please feel free to contact us by email at 

At, the privacy of our visitors is of extreme importance to us. This privacy policy document outlines the types of personal information is received and collected by and how it is used. 

Log Files 
Like many other Web sites, makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol ( IP ) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider ( ISP ), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user's movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable. 

Cookies and Web Beacons does use cookies to store information about visitors preferences, record user-specific information on which pages the user access or visit, customize Web page content based on visitors browser type or other information that the visitor sends via their browser. 

DoubleClick DART Cookie 
.:: Google, as a third party vendor, uses cookies to serve ads on 
.:: Google's use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to users based on their visit to and other sites on the Internet. 
.:: Users may opt out of the use of the DART cookie by visiting the Google ad and content network privacy policy at the following URL - 

Some of our advertising partners may use cookies and web beacons on our site. Our advertising partners include ....
Google Adsense 

These third-party ad servers or ad networks use technology to the advertisements and links that appear on send directly to your browsers. They automatically receive your IP address when this occurs. Other technologies ( such as cookies, JavaScript, or Web Beacons ) may also be used by the third-party ad networks to measure the effectiveness of their advertisements and / or to personalize the advertising content that you see. has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers. 

You should consult the respective privacy policies of these third-party ad servers for more detailed information on their practices as well as for instructions about how to opt-out of certain practices.'s privacy policy does not apply to, and we cannot control the activities of, such other advertisers or web sites. 

If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers' respective websites.